- Last Updated on Thursday, 30 July 2020 21:10
Union Township Municipal Offices: 3904 Finleyville-Elrama Road, Finleyville, PA 15332 Phone: (724) 348-4250
Secretary/Ass’t Treasurer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Meeting Schedule: The Union Township Board of Supervisors meets the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of every month at 5:00 p.m.
|Thanks to board member Frank Massari for his donation of the banner shown above which was displayed to honor our current and past service members!|
For those of you unable to attend our regular meetings, here is an update about ongoing projects and news in Union Township! For a more detailed explanation and additional items, please visit the Township website at uniontwp.org to refer to minutes.
• 2020 Road Program – Work is scheduled to begin 7/27/2020 on Cardox Road. Cardox Road will be closed for about a month to widen and repair the road to Township specifications. Other 2020 Road Program work includes repairs to Turkeyfoot Rd and Ridge Ave and placing curbing on Meadow Ave. These repairs will happen through the Fall of 2020.
• Municipal Building CDBG Restroom Upgrades – Work is scheduled to begin in the next few weeks on the Municipal Restroom Project. This remodel will expand and update the current restrooms to be handicap accessible. We are looking forward to implementation of these long overdue renovations!
• Overlook Sewer Project – Work is scheduled to begin in mid- to late-August for the construction of the Overlook Sewer Extension Project. This project will connect 26 homes to the South Park Municipal Authority Sewer System. Construction should take approximately 3-6 months to complete and will solve a decades old problem of failing septic systems and illegal sewer taps.
• Cardox Road Speeding and Overweight Vehicle Complaints – The Township is currently working on several solutions to the numerous complaints we have received recently regarding speeding and overweight vehicles on Cardox Rd. The Township has already purchased and installed several trail cameras to pursue code enforcement of overweight vehicles on Cardox Rd. The Township is also working to purchase a radar speed monitoring sign and is moving forward with a study to determine if speed humps can be installed along Cardox Rd.
Union Township Permits
Now that summer is upon us, we would like to remind you that permits are required for the following activities:
• Zoning – No land use may be established or changed; no structure or building may be erected, constructed, reconstructed, structurally altered, razed or removed; and no building or structure may be used or occupied or the use changed until a zoning permit has been obtained from the Zoning Officer. See Ordinance Chapter 208 for more details.
• Building - No building or structure shall be erected, added to or structurally altered until a building permit has been issued by the Building Code Official.
• Grading - Any cut or fill of earth, sand, gravel, rock or any other material that exceeds 100 cubic yards. Any fill slope greater than 3H:1V. Any cut slope greater than 2H:1V. Any grading activity within 3 feet of your property line. See Ordinance Chapter 135 for more details.
• Stormwater - Any disturbed area greater than 5,000 square feet. Any addition of over 1,000 square feet of impervious area (parking areas (gravel or asphalt), roofs, etc). See Ordinance Chapter 225 for more details.
If you have any questions on whether or not a permit is required for your planned activity, please do not hesitate to reach out to the Township Zoning office at 724-348-9200.
Burning in Union Township
The Township has received complaints regarding residents burning NON-PERMITTED ITEMS. Please review below the regulations concerning burning in Union Township:
Open/controlled fires of tree limbs and branches and paper waste shall be allowed within the Township ONLY ON TUESDAYS AND THURSDAYS between the hours of 10:00am and 7:00pm Eastern Standard Time and on SATURDAYS between 10:00am and 5:00 Eastern Standard Time. Open fires set forth herein shall be contained in a fire ring made of noncombustible material such as iron, steel, masonry or stone, which is no higher than 2.5 feet and which is constructed to provide adequate air flow to the fire. Burn barrels shall not be permitted. Please refer to Union Township Code Chapter 106 for further information.
RESPECT YOUR NEIGHBOR!
Townships and municipalities establish Code and Ordinances for the protection of, and in consideration of, it’s tax-paying residents of their communities. They are created to promote the health, safety and general welfare of the communities by establishing rules and regulations concerning the maintenance of properties in the Township. The Township has received several complaints regarding the following issues which are in violation of Union Township Code:
Brush, Grass and Weeds– The maximum height for brush, grass, and weeds is 6-inches. See Ordinance Chapter 89 for more details. Please cut your grass! Your neighbors would appreciate it!!
Motor Vehicle Nuisance – Includes any motor vehicle which is found unattended without the current year's registration, state inspection or identification markers as required by law and is inoperable/incapable of moving on its own. This shall also include any vehicles that constitute a danger or potential danger to the health, safety or welfare of the citizens of Union Township. See Quality of Life Ordinance No. 01-2019 and Ordinance Chapter 258 for more details. Please have these removed from your property. Your neighbors would appreciate it!
Bulky Waste/Garbage – Bulky Waste is defined as any large items of solid waste, including, but not limited to, appliances, furniture, large auto parts, trees, branches or stumps which may require special handling due to size, shape or weight. Garbage is defined as any solid waste derived from animal, grain, fruit or vegetable matter, capable of being decomposed by microorganisms with sufficient speed as to cause such nuisances as odors, gases or vectors. None of these items can be stored on public or private property in the Township. Please get rid of junk! Again, your neighbors would appreciate it!
Please refer to Union Township’s Quality of Life Ordinance No. 01-2019. It will explain the penalties that will be imposed for not adhering to these simple requests. If you’d like a copy of the Ordinance emailed to you, please email your request to email@example.com.
As a reminder, all complaints must be done in writing and mailed/emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The complaint form can be found on the home page of our website at www.uniontwp.com.