- Last Updated on Friday, 29 December 2017 23:23
The Monongahela Area Revitalization Corporation (MARC) held its Christmas gathering and final meeting of the year at the Monongahela Valley Country Club on December 18.
The highlight of the evening was the announcement by Nancy Eckert of the winners of the Christmas Decorating Contest that was held throughout Monongahela, Carroll Township and New Eagle.
Returning officers George Eckert, president; John Cattaneo, vice president; Corrina Withrow, treasurer; and Terry Necciai, secretary were announced. Eckert reflected on his first year at the helm, looking back at 2017 and ahead to 2018. “We made our communities better,” said Eckert. “We are getting people involved and working together, and this is the only way we will get anything done.”
He stated that in September, MARC applied for membership to the Mon Valley Initiative, a group of Community Development Corporations (CDCs), whose members range from Homestead to Brownsville. He noted the “On Your MARC” 5K Run/Walk sponsored by Cox Market and many other businesses brought out over 112 participants and people are asking, “Are you going to do it again and when?” He finished his remarks by stating, “When people get involved, leave their jealousies at the door, good things happen. The members of MARC are making good things happen for our community.”
President Eckert also announced the tentative calendar for the upcoming year. Events include:
- April 17, 2018 – Two-Man Scramble, Monongahela Country Club - Saturday 9 a.m.
- May 12, 2018 - 14th Antiques Appraisal, Monongahela Area Library - 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- May 26, 2018 - Pooch Parade, Downtown Monongahela to Chess Park - 11 a.m.
- June 9, 2018 - MARC Presents the “Walk for the Chapel,” Monongahela Cemetery - 9 a.m.
- September 17, 2018 - MARC’s 12th Annual Town Hall Meeting (Topic and Site TBD) - 7 p.m.
- September 29, 2018 - “On Your MARC” 5K Run/Walk, Chess Park - 9 a.m.