- Last Updated on Monday, 29 May 2017 21:57
The Toast To Our Stars of North Charleroi recently hosted its 67th Annual Achievement Awards Banquet on Sunday, April 30 at the Charleroi Elks. The annual event recognizes and promotes the participation, achievements, and successes of high school students from the community in academics, arts and athletics.
|Guest speaker Andrew Stockey, third from left, poses with this year’s Toast To Our Stars of North Charleroi banquet honorees. From left are outstanding athlete Caleb Carson, TTOS secretary/treasurer Joe Wiehl, Jr., and outstanding athlete Brian Burgess.|
This year’s featured guest speaker was Andrew Stockey, news anchor and sports director of WTAE-TV and wtae.com. He is part of Pittsburgh’s Action News 4 team that won best large market newscast from the Pennsylvania Associated Press multiple times. Mr. Stockey has won an Emmy Award for a special program about Race for the Cure, as well as Edward R. Murrow and Golden Quill awards for his sports broadcasting. He was also recognized by the Pennsylvania Associated Press in 2005 and 2014 for best sportscast and best sports play-by-play.
This year’s list of honorees included:
- Emma Valla - Volleyball
- Liz Muchesko - Band; Ian Williams - Football
- Sean Kwasney - Soccer & Track; Katelyn Valla - Volleyball; Hannah McCurdy - Track; Ezra Guty - Basketball
- Chad Melenyzer - Soccer; Jesse Andrechak - Baseball; Adam Ulens - Golf; Kalee Hughes - Cheerleading; Jacob Comer - Basketball; Rebecca Nuzzo - Volleyball & Band; Dremar Everette - Football & Basketball
In addition to the 14 honorees recognized for their participation in arts and athletics, two athletes were selected as this year’s outstanding athletes:
- Caleb Carson – Soccer - All-Section Team and All-WPIAL Team
- Brian Burgess – Football - All-Conference Team, 2nd Team All-State, 2A All WesternPAFootball.net Team & PSFCA East/West All-Star Game
The afternoon events also included the presentation of scholarships and stipends to the following graduating students:
- Jesse Andrechak – John Buberniak Memorial Scholarship and Alfred “Aggie” Agamedi Memorial Award
- Kalee Hughes – Richard “Frenchy” Pireaux Citizenship Award and Alfred “Aggie” Agamedi Memorial Award
- Brian Burgess – Dorothy & Emil Hyk Memorial Scholarship
The final award of the afternoon went to Toast To Our Stars secretary/treasurer Joe Wiehl, Jr., who received special recognition from the TTOS Committee for his 53 years of dedicated service to the organization.
The TTOS also announced that it will be hosting its 7th Annual Golf Outing on Sunday, August 6, 2017 at Riverview Golf Course in Bunola, PA (near Elizabeth). Information, registration and tee sponsorship opportunities are available at toasttoourstars.org.