- Last Updated on Monday, 29 May 2017 21:47
On Friday, June 16, 2017, the Mid Mon Valley All Sports Hall of Fame will honor area senior scholar athletes during its 24th annual induction banquet at St. Spyridon Hellenic Center, 1205 Grand Blvd Monessen at 5:30 p.m. Honoring the Mon Valley’s best and brightest in sports and in the classroom has been an integral part of the Sports Hall of Fame since 1995.
Area students are selected by Mon Valley athletic directors and high school principals and are recognized at the banquet for their academic and athletic accomplishments. The Sports Hall of Fame Committee awards a certificate of merit reflecting personal dedication to achieving the highest standards of excellence as a scholar and in sportsmanship.
This prestigious event bonds generations of area athletes by bringing together the past generation of Hall of Fame recipients with the present generation of athletes. This is ceremoniously represented in the seating arrangement in which the scholar athletes sit on a tier below the Hall of Fame inductees, challenging the students to achieve a goal that Hall of Fame personalities have accomplished. The first student scholar athlete to reach Hall of Fame status was Gina Naccarato. Ms. Naccarato was recognized as a student school athlete in 1996 and inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2005.
The 2017 student scholar athlete recipients are:
- Belle Vernon Area High School: Tyler Seliga and Sophia Yantko
- Bentworth High School: Josh Hughes and Autumn Zgorliski
- Brownsville Area High School: Jared Gaddis and Alexandria Seto
- California Area High School: Nathaniel Luketich and Jenna Miller
- Charleroi Area High School: Carter Riskey and Jessica Day
- Elizabeth Forward High School: Ryan Lee and Madison Ambler
- Monessen High School: Justice Rice and Victoria Cooper
- Ringgold High School: Dalton Holt and Olivia Warner
- Yough High School: Jack Cleary and Olivia Miller
Monessen High School senior basketball captains and Coach Joe Salvino will be recognized with the Achievement award for winning this year’s WPIAL Class A basketball championship (21-8), sixth in the school’s history under Salvino.
In addition to honoring the area’s finest scholar athletes, the Mid Mon Valley All Sports Hall of Fame will induct six new members: Don Bartolomucci, Philip Hughes, Joseph Margoneri, Scott Nedrow, Daryle Ruby, and Joe Salvino. The recipient of this year’s Hall of Fame appreciation award, Dennis Stitch, is the longtime Chairman of the Sports Hall of Famer Board of Directors.
For ticket availability, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 724-258-3823.